Monday, September 10, 2007

Sooo... I am Pretty Sure This is Me

I occasionally struggle with who I am and how I am supposed to act.

I stumbled on this article last night while reading digg.com and I think it helped me realized that I may be a stronger introvert than I thought. I have always been really weak in this personality trait when taking things like the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator (always a slight Introvert or a slight Extrovert). I do feel like I need "alone time" just to be with my thoughts, but the issue is that I tend to think about my interactions in the world... Am I being genuine? Am I living, and interacting with people, in a way that puts my true self out there? Do I even want to do that?

There are a couple of things about the article that I really like, particularly the reiteration of

...our being more intelligent, more reflective, more independent, more level-headed, more refined, and more sensitive than extroverts.
But even with that, I am not sure I am dealing with a battle between my introversion and everyone else's extroversion. Rather, I think I am dealing with my introverted self causing more introversion (yeah, dissect that one). I am not really sure who or what to turn too. I guess it is another in a long line of times in my life where I my head feels like it is almost being destroyed by the things happening around me. How strange is that? Being an introvert is not supposed to cause such inner conflict, to the contrary, it is supposed to allow the inner to balance out the things happening in the outer.

Don't get me wrong, I am basically fine. These are the finer points of my life that I am not as happy with as I should be. I am hoping that they improve, and I am sure they will. It can just be frustrating when you find something you don't like that you think about it so much that it can be overwhelming.

1 comment:

MrsTwink said...

Great article! Man, I'm starting to think I'm much more introverted than I thought. I hate dealing with people most of the time although at work, I generally prefer to be a chatty cathy than to actually produce work.