Thursday, May 31, 2007

What am I still doing on the East Coast

This is the week of Memorial Day, and for the first time in six years and have not been traveling to an institution of higher learning, to see friends, debate and hopefully do some good for residential students across the country. That is right, I said six years. That is a long time. If this was any point in the past six years I would have been at NACURH.



NACURH, or the National Association of College and University Residence Halls, was a huge part of my life. It is an organization that works to improve the lives of students, living in residence halls, across North America and slightly beyond. It has been around for just over 50 years and has come along way, becoming the largest student run incorporation in the world. Over the seven years that I went to school I was part of NACURH, from conference participant to voting representative for my school, to conference chair, regional board member, national board member and National Chair. Clearly this took up alot of my life, but the best parts were the people.



I made amazing friends throughout my time in NACURH. They are the type of people that I may not talked to in months, but as soon as we are on the phone things pick up right where they left off. They are fantastic.

So this week I normally would have packed my things and headed out to Oshkosh Wisconsin to live, learn and enjoy 2900 of my closest friends. I miss it, but I am glad that I have been able to keep the friends and leave some of the Drama.

I also feel like the org is in good hands, Jacob Dixon, Former CAACURH Regional Director, AD and Conference Chair, is the new National Chair, and he is going to do amazing things. Congrats Jay!!

No comments: